Planning a Visit
We are currently accepting properly masked walk-up visitors during our open hours, however, we highly recommend calling the museum before you plan to stop in for the following reasons:
- During hours when the museum is open to the public, the museum is primarily staffed by student employees. Occasionally students miss their shifts and the museum must close its doors for an hour or two.
- If there are other people in the museum, you may be asked to return at a later time so as to avoid overcrowding.
The Clarence R. Smith Mineral Museum is located in the first floor atrium of Moser Hall on the campus of Youngstown State University.
Moser Hall’s address is: 134 Lincoln Avenue, Youngstown, OH 44503.
If you have a valid YSU parking permit, you are welcome to park in any lot or deck that your permit allows.
If you are traveling by bus with a large group, please instruct the driver to travel westbound on Lincoln Avenue and load/unload the group in front of Moser Hall. While not in use, the bus may be parked near the scoreboard behind Stambaugh Stadium.
For all other museum guests, there are two recommended parking options:
- Along Lincoln Avenue: Parking meters along Lincoln Avenue are available on a first come, first-served basis. The parking meters are managed by the City of Youngstown and cost $1.50/hour. The meters are checked periodically from 8am-8pm. Moser Hall, the location of the museum, is located on Lincoln Avenue. Guests can enter the basement floor of Moser Hall from Lincoln Avenue (both elevators and stairs are available to ascend to the first floor). Note: if you or someone in your party is unable to navigate stairs, please be aware that there are a few steps into the basement of Moser from Lincoln Avenue. If you park on Lincoln but cannot manage stairs, please go around the building and enter from the center of campus.
- Wick Parking Deck: A parking deck, located on Wick Avenue, is available to guests at a daily charge of $5 per vehicle. There is a pedestrian bridge that crosses Wick Avenue from the parking deck. Guests traveling to the museum from the parking deck can enter directly into Moser Hall’s atrium from the center of campus.
Should you need additional information regarding parking on or near campus, please refer to the following entities:
- For campus parking options, contact YSU parking services by phone at (330) 941-3546 or visit their website.
- For metered parking questions, contact the City of Youngstown’s Traffic Engineering Department by phone at (330) 742-8890.
Admission to the Clarence R. Smith Mineral Museum is always free of charge.
Field Trips and other educational programming are also provided free of charge.