Planning a Visit
Scroll down to view our hours, address, parking options and more!
Visitors may explore the museum during public hours offered while Youngstown State University’s spring and fall semesters are in session:
Tuesdays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesdays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Thursdays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Fridays 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The museum is closed Mondays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Public hours are NOT offered during the summer. Museum visits from May through August are by appointment only.
- Appointments outside of public hours will be considered on a case-by-case basis but are not guaranteed.
- The museum occasionally opens on weekends for special events around campus; check our Home page or the museum’s Facebook page to find out about these special openings.
- The museum regularly closes when Youngstown State University closes or when classes are cancelled, such as during breaks and holidays.
The Clarence R. Smith Mineral Museum is located in the first floor atrium of Moser Hall on the campus of Youngstown State University.
Moser Hall’s address is: 134 Lincoln Avenue, Youngstown, OH 44503.
If you have a valid YSU parking permit, you are welcome to park in any lot or deck that your permit allows.
If you are traveling by bus with a large group, please instruct the driver to travel westbound on Lincoln Avenue and load/unload the group in front of Moser Hall. While not in use, the bus may be parked near the scoreboard behind Stambaugh Stadium.
For all other museum guests, there are two recommended parking options:
- Along Lincoln Avenue: Parking meters along Lincoln Avenue are available on a first come, first-served basis. The parking meters are managed by the City of Youngstown and cost $1.50/hour. The meters are checked periodically from 8am-8pm. Moser Hall, the location of the museum, is located on Lincoln Avenue. Guests can enter the basement floor of Moser Hall from Lincoln Avenue (both elevators and stairs are available to ascend to the first floor). Note: if you or someone in your party is unable to navigate stairs, please be aware that there are a few steps into the basement of Moser from Lincoln Avenue. If you park on Lincoln but cannot manage stairs, please go around the building and enter from the center of campus.
- Wick Parking Deck: A parking deck, located on Wick Avenue, is available to guests at a daily charge of $5 per vehicle. There is a pedestrian bridge that crosses Wick Avenue from the parking deck. Guests traveling to the museum from the parking deck can enter directly into Moser Hall’s atrium from the center of campus.
Should you need additional information regarding parking on or near campus, please refer to the following entities:
- For campus parking options, contact YSU parking services by phone at (330) 941-3546 or visit their website.
- For metered parking questions, contact the City of Youngstown’s Traffic Engineering Department by phone at (330) 742-8890.
Groups are welcome at the Clarence R. Smith Mineral Museum! If you have a group visiting campus and would like to briefly stop inside the museum during our public hours, you do not need to call ahead (although we always appreciate a heads up!). If you have a group that would like to participate in a Field Trip program and/or one of our other interactive activities, please review our Educational Offerings page and contact the museum to schedule your visit.
Babies, Toddlers, Preschoolers
Young children, including babies, are encouraged to visit the museum! To make a visit more interactive and memorable for the wee ones, we suggest asking a museum staff member about bringing out touch minerals and/or a copy of the “Mineral Color Hunt”.
Please be aware that the restrooms in Moser Hall do not have changing tables.
Admission to the Clarence R. Smith Mineral Museum is always free of charge.
Field Trips and other educational programming are also provided free of charge.